no place to
stand and
straddle;
hands can’t
paddle
or battle
the reeds
and weeds
that succeed
in feeding
my dwindling
hope that
I can still
float.
the swirling
debris
keeps tempting me
and emptying me
not exempting me
from pain
- I’m the same –
but I’m drained
and now trained
to bow and
strain to the
waning mock
solution
that’s mere
pollution to
my brain.
I’ve been to
school and
I have read
that this cool
liquid I now
tread is
ready to
supply myself
with a
healthy drink;
I think if I
apply it to
my thirst
I’ll first be
dealt a
helping
of relief.
a side of
grief comes
next – I’m
vexed and
perplexed that
this liar
wrecked my
best chance
to dance with
freedom.
my end
is near
and fear
interferes with my thoughts.
I’m caught and
I’ll rot
in this spot.
without thinking
I’m sinking
to the depths
where death
does not
rest.
but under
my foot
here a
queer shape
appears.
switching
gears, my
brain steers
my body to
the clear.
it’s a rock
that stopped me
from descending
so I’m
bending
and twisting,
double-fistedly
fighting for air
…
my prayer
is for life
coz something’s
now right.
something fits
and it’s
real; it feels stable
and enables
feeble limbs
to scratch
and climb “
for something
more; for
solid shores.
I reach
my hand
for sand
and beach
finding heat
and sweet
dry land.
and “ I’m
done with
the ocean,
its dual-wave motion;
done with
the plants
that tangle
and strangle;
the dishonest
fluid that
parches you
through
though it
promise a quenching
I’m wrenching
away.
for to-day I
crave a
fresh source
of waves:
the living
water that
saves.
30/05/05:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
did you read this at spill the beans? because i think i can hear your voice saying it. and i like. you're my fave spoken word artist. for real.
Yeth I did. Ah... that was almost a year ago. I still owe you a poem...
ahhhh..that's why it sounds familiar...
HiuKei, you're creepin me out. You need to speak up more often.
HiuKei has never been creepy. Except for that time she threatened to kill me when I called her HiuKei PiuKei but that was it!
Post a Comment