I am very happy with the present weather in this Southern Ontario corner of my life. I enjoy that this winter seems like a for serious winter but I am sad that it feels too late and all I can think is "too little too late".
So there is this great story that I have been telling people I know (and some that I don't know) because I think it's great. I choose my audience carefully; those who can hack it and those who are not overly squeamish. I have noticed a few things about myself in the process. I have recieved a paltry glimpse of what a stand-up comic's tour might be like, telling the same jokes every night. A few friends and I were discussing the telling of this story and I was bragging [ah, I can hear the frozen rain hitting the side of my house and it is way cool] about how many times I had told the story (now to 30 people in 9 days). One of the friends present is an unfortunate pillar in this story and in my explaining to her my reasons for telling, I emphasized the responses and the perks, leaving her to ask (void of an inquisitive tone), "You told 29 people." I was like, "Yea!" in two syllables as I turned my head away briefly. Then I turned back and grabbed her shoulder for emphasis, my body ready for what I was about to say before my brain and my mouth were. (I think my spirit tipped it off.) "That I would tell the Gospel so often."
Ohhh, self-rebuke, how delicate a creature you are. Sure it's always the H Spizzo that does the rebukables but when the convicting words come from your own lips it's often more humbling than any thing else.
The follow-up thoughts: why am I not rushing to people saying, "Listen, listen - you gotta hear this story," about the greatest Truth ever known? Ahhh I know, sensitivity, timing for everything, efficiency, strategy but for serious - what were the apostles waiting for? No rejection or loss of friends or dignity detered them. They muscled through and told everywhere and everywhen they could. Meh... that I would be so excited, (and prolific?) I would pray, methinks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment