I'm not going to lie at all. The main reason I wanted to watch this film was for what I was calling "eye candy". But, knowing that both Christian Bale and Russel Crowe are good actors, I didn't expect to be disppointed at all.
It dawned on me, about a third of the way into the film, that people don't make westerns anymore. I started watching part of one of the bonus features, and someone was talking about how they had to be conscious, in this genre, not to be cheesy or cliche... He also said that they wanted to involve issues that were relevant today. They did well. I didn't realize how tricky it would be to make a good film in that genre today so I have mad respect for the writers & director of this guy.
There are many things I could say about the film and.... many things I want to say but... I feel like I'd be selling it short. I feel like I need to watch it again. What I can say is that I'd recommend it to almost anyone I know, which is crazy. Westerns aren't supposed to be for everyone.
I was literally on the edge of my seat for about 90% of the film. For about 40% of it I had my hands on my face, like horse blinders as if I had to multiply the intensity by blocking out other things in the room. I...didn't know what I was doing. I like chocolate covered pretzels.
The moments that made me laugh were gorgeous. They were full-on unexpected and so real-lifey. I must say I do enjoy films whose cast is mostly male -- and that's not because of the eye-candy factor. It's because things end up being more...serious and interesting. And, you don't have to deal with womanizing and other stupid things.
I enjoyed it... This is the words film reflection I've ever posted. I'll watch it again some time and take notes. I'll take notes.
I'm kinda sad that I didn't get to laugh very much today. Every day, during the first few hours after wakefulness (while I'm still by my onesy), I wonder what will be the first thing to make me laugh that day. I wonder this primarily because that is the best way to guage how my throat healage is progressing. But I now wonder this secondarily (real word?) because I love to laugh..I am obsessed with comedy and thus my laughter is a big part of my personality. Laughter is an intrinsic part of anyone's personality. Me, I miss it when I go for few hours without it. There's another blessing to count. (14)
I enjoyed that the plot was remarkably simple. It really.... it there were no fireworks, bells or whistles. I appreciate this greatly. It leaves room to appreciate other things - like characters/character development. (That same man from the bonus features said that the film was 90% about character development. I believe him.) I also got to appreciate the period (costume, props, dialogue, even money translations..... one of the main characters got paid $2 a day), and the landscape and of course character relations/interactions - though I suppose that goes under development. It's interesting the dance we do with one another. It's so interesting when you're a fly on the wall in someone else's reality. It's interesting to see power struggles, to see how people use their words and their silences.... There was one moment where the two main characters dropped ALL charades and other (macho) frills/fabrications and were able to just laugh without.. worrying about who they were supposed to be, what kind of image they were trying to present, what message they needed to send, what morals they needed to uphold. I enjoyed.
I'm amazed that the plot could be so simple without being boring or quiet... Like Return to Me (2000) which I would like to call the worst film I've ever seen. Simle but important..meaningful in its.... microcosm? Dang.. I have no words.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment