Monday, 9 August 2010

"The Other Guys" (2010) continued...

-I wanted to also say that Mark Wahlberg's place in a Will Ferrell movie was not very well received by our audience at all. I couldn't quite figure out what was going on but for now I'm going to chalk it up to familiarity. He said and did things that were funny but we're not used to it. He's supposed to be an action star, bad-ass and of few words. Will Ferrell got huge laughs that only an audience that likes his brand (the same way others like the Adam Sandler or Ben Stiller brands) can laugh. It was actually pretty cool. But I felt bad for Wahlby because I assume he was put in the film because Will Ferrell looks up to him and it's supposed to be one of those totally unexpected roles that you only get a few of in your career without looking like you've totally turned to another trend. I'm sure I need an example to back this up.

-Other thing: during the closing credits there were animated stats and graphs being shown featuring the current financial issues of the US and the world, compared to two years ago and compared to the 1950s and all sorts of interesting stuff and it blew me away. I don't want to get into it lest I spoil more but it really brought to a head all the off-hand but suspiciously sincere satirical comments sprinkled throughout the film. It looks like it was made for/dedicated to the little guy, to the average man. It's really very interesting to me. It's like a tribute. I want to watch it again..and I want to know how it's generally been received.

--Maybe an example to fit with my last statement from point one is Tom Cruise's role in Tropic Thunder (2008). Who knows? I thought Robert De Niro maybe would be a fitting example for Analyze This (1999) but then he went and made its sequel (2002), and Meet the Parents (2000) and its sequel (2004) - though for him the novelty actually hasn't worn off. We should throw Stardust (2007) in that mix, though I consider it to stand alone slightly, and I should point out that I don't know De Niro's career very well.

No comments: