I wasn't on guard, just a moment ago, and I almost cared about golf. Phew. Caught myself in time.
I feel really very sad for Tiger Woods. I can't imagine what kind of pressure he's under and what kind of pain he's feeling. I can't wait for this junk to be over.
I'm honestly pretty sad that Chris Chelios is retiring. (I didn't know he was 48, though, wow!) On the plus side, turns out he isn't tone-deaf and that is great.
I got up at 6.41 this morning. It's 3.36 now. I am tired.
I have been pumped up to see The Other Guys (2010) for several weeks. Soon as I saw the main cast (Will Ferrell, Mark Wahlberg, Sammy J and The Rock) and got the gist of what the film was about, I wrote the opening day on my calendar. The ads have come on quite frequently but I faithfully hit "mute" and turn away from the tele every time because I'm tired of having plots ruined and punchlines ground into the dirt.
I even watched most of an interview with Michael Keaton by David Letterman, rapt with attention, up until they wanted to show a clip with him and then I changed the channel.
Anyways - today was opening day and I was there for the 10 o'clock show. It was good.
I thoroughly enjoyed the cameos and Michael Keaton's really was something amazing. There was a scene where I lapsed into my conception of him as Betelgeuse and it was great - I take it to mean he's in very good form.
First cameo was Derek Jeter whose showing up made me gasp in deep surprize and some delight. I was confused, though, by the fact that the audience needed to be told who he was and only responded after, "Dude - I'm Derek Jeter!" was exclaimed.
I want to comment further on this but I'll be spoiling the plot even more than I already have. Suffice to say, I enjoyed getting a blip of baseball in a comedy flick (the MLB is turning into a kind of drug for me and I'm trying to wean right now; couldn't believe the sigh I released when tonight's game started on the radio - I didn't know I had been missing it!) but what's more, I enjoyed finding out that I'm enough into the league that other jokes made more sense to me than they seemed to to the rest of a Guelph, Ontario audience. To be expected, I guess.
I am wondering about the choice to omit F-bombs. In one way it worked, because it actually removed a distraction (for the audience in general, I mean) but in another way it didn't work for the few characters who would have needed it to show their hardness or for the few who needed to lash out and show character development and/or a stress response.
Overall it was good but NOT as good as expected. Maybe I'm not making myself clear about how much I was pumped up. 1) for the flick, 2) for Wahlberg (it's been a while since I saw him in a newbie), 3) for Sammy J, 4) for The Rock who I have enjoyed all the big-screen roles I've seen him in (I haven't seen "Tooth Fairy", please know), 4) sometimes big-cast movies work out. Also I like cop/action films most days.
Parts of the Jeter thread made me realize that we don't rally like New Yorkers. Of course I'm geographically closer to that city, I listen and I have been observing American culture all my life so I get what was being explained that we certainly don't have in Guelph but neither do we have it in Toronto...and possibly even Canada. In the car home I remarked that we're not even cohesive enough as a city to be able to rally behind something, nevermind I something to rally behind. I'd like to think on this more and come back.
My eyelids are too heavy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment