Friday, 1 October 2010

jonesing for affirmation

I'm not really ashamed to say I almost sent a text-message just now that read, "I like you. Do you like me?"

It's a ridiculous thing to do for so many reasons.
1) it's already a set-up to ask someone point-blank (same as asking whether someone likes your haircut). it's hard to say no to if you have ANY sensitivity whatsoever or idea of social propriety.
2) starting with "I like you," puts them in an even tighter spot (like saying, "I love you," and letting that silence hang until it's filled with the phrase repeated and a "too" tacked on) because it's almost like, "I did YOU a favor..can't you have the decency to return it??"
3) if you have to ask (so bluntly) there are either big problems in the relationship/friendship that that is actually a question OR you are simply fishing. if the other person thinks it's the latter, then they can faff it off but if they're not 100% sure you're fishing they will likely decide to err on the side of caution and treat the question as sincere. (it's not pleasant to be in that position of wanting to pick what seems obvious but having to pick the other because the risk of being wrong is too high.)
4) if the recipient has had to answer this question before (directly or indirectly) then it will likely be irritating for them to discover that you either think they're lying or you don't listen. or perhaps even that you're using them.
5) it sounds juvenile (maybe because it IS juvenile!).


I still want to ask it but I won't. I would only say it if someone KNEW I was joking..and the point would be to give me an excuse to say I like them. Ha. It's like saying what you mean but not quite...?

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

you did send it!! ahah

p.s I like you too!! A LOT!