Tuesday, 29 March 2011

volunteers came home that day

I haven't listened to Queen's A Night at the Opera (1975) in years, literally years.
This is so strange to me because it is hands-down one of my favorite albums of all time.

When I was in high school (I started listening to them at 16 or 17) there came a time when I would use listening to the album as incentive to work on or complete something, like an assignment or some other important to-do. It worked well because I LOVED listening to them.

The first version of A Night at the Opera that I owned, I created through Napster. After Napster blew up and I understood what I was doing, I destroyed a LOT of homemade CDs. It was a weird time but not as difficult as I thought it might be.

The only version of that album I currently own is an LP and I don't own a record player. I used to listen to it when I lived with my mum but that hasn't been for six years. So, let's say it's been at least six years since I've listened to it. I can't believe that. I just can't believe that.

I realized just today, while singing "'39" (track 5) in my head as I was prepping dinner, that I still feel barred from listening because of how I used to use it in high school. How weird! I actually feel prohibited and that I need to accomplish something to obtain the privilege. Weird. Weird.

I have often wondered why I don't spend more money on acquiring music. It's so weird. I've talked about this before. I think one of the problems I have is that I find certain things, certain pieces so euphoric that I need to prepare myself before I listen. Sometimes it means taking care of a bunch of little tasks I've been putting off (e.g. writing a thank-you note, clearing off my desk), sometimes it means doing a bigger one-off task (e.g. an academic assignment or answering a big email) and sometimes it means doing x number of things which are on-going responsibilities (e.g. submitting 10 resumes, reading x number of pages). Right now I think I'm expecting all three and more. Ha. Today I am learning about the difference between delayed gratification and self-flagellation. Ahh.

So....next pay period I'm gettin that album back. Forget about it. Don't talk to me. It's happening. Ha. I am afraid that because it's been years I will either be a) entirely unable to handle how much I enjoy it or b) be totally disappointed by how not overwhelmed I am.
Thus, my plan must be to not make a big deal about it. :) Ha. I like music.

No comments: