Sunday, 2 September 2012

it's the final countdooooooown! 7, 6

I said I was going to go to bed at 7 and it's 8.24.  Now this is happening.  Sigh.  I just like people too much, THAT'S the problem.  They kept me from my nap and then from my early bed.  It's all their fault.


In the two shifts I've worked since I gave my two weeks' notice I have felt sadder about leaving than I thought I would.  I just...... Even the day I was telling some close friends about the decisions I'd made and why when one of them asked about Miserable S____ my face got all sad/pouty and I lamented, "Awwwwwwww, I forgot I have to say goodbye to Shaney-Shane!"  Maybe I'll start using names now that I'm leaving.  That just happened.

I call(ed) him Shaney-Shane because he hates it.  I'm going to miss him and when I realised that I realised there are DOZENS of others I'll miss and need to goodbye as well.  Alors, I am here making a blogful scrapbook.


Friday, 30 August.

-Rhys has been a solid regular since almost Day One.  du Maurier Balanced regular. Works for Barry Cullen and has amazingly curly and very blonde hair.  He's always chill and often hard to read.  He's fond of me and likes that I greet him exclusively with, "Hey, Homes!" He waves to me and says my name in a funny way every time he sees me even though I probably serve him 1 out of 7 times he's on the premises. 

Today I told him I'd given notice and he said, "Oh, good," immediately which made me suspect Joy, over at Tims, had already told him.  I told him he was the first who'd responded to the news that way.  He was happy for me.  He did say, "well, not [good] for us," to my shocked face.


-A man who is a vocal Doppelganger for John Candy was in that night and even though I've only served him thrice, telling him he sounded like John Candy the first time I met him was apparently enough to form a quick bond.  He laughed at first and I backed it up (ever the English major) with, "When you talk I'm picturing Uncle Buck," and he laughed more.  He told me that was a great movie and that not enough people appreciate it.  (bond)

Tonight I said, "Have I ever told you..." and he interrupted with, "Yes.  Once."

I persisted, pointing to the cargo van parked out front, "No, have I ever told you how great it is that you drive a cargo van?" at this point my excited face kinda got away from me.  He was amused & confused so he asked why.  I explained how John Candy's character in Home Alone (1990) was in the back of a U-Haul truck with his polka bums and the guy laughed and laughed.

The conversation went on while he was signing lottery tickets that I was checking and reprinting and he seemed appreciative of my friendliness, mentioning that, "People don't talk anymore," and I don't know if he meant strangers, cashiers or anyone but I appreciate the sentiment.

I'm sad that I'll now not have enough time to get to know him very well at all and form any kind of transferable acquaintanceship or friendship.  Right sad.


-I haven't seen Nelson in ages.  Last time I saw him was also after ages and he told me he'd been away because his dad passed away.  I had that weird experience of feeling genuine sympathy and not knowing how to express it in a way that's helpful and not suspicious to the other.  I listened and asked but he wasn't ready to say much so we kept it light.

On Friday he was a lot more like his normal self which meant blaming me for his lack of winning tickets and giving me a hard time for EVERYTHING I was doing.  I find it amusing cos he knows when to dial it back and I know it's all put on.  It's wonderfully over-the-top put on.  Timing didn't permit me to give him the news so while he was waiting for his Tims order and I had no crustomers [sic] I went over and mentioned, trying to say some kind of, "If I never see you again....goodbye," but it barely came out.  I went back to my post and then a minute later he returned to my counter with a winning ticket -- which never happens.  He always takes the tickets to work and scratches them there.  He asked me about the new job, made fun of me some more and then asked when I was working the following week.  Kind.



Saturday, 31 August.

-Steve hasn't been around much because in his line of work, people get laid off when business is slow.  He's been laid off for months (and their company has actually forbade employees from coming into our shop because they waste too much time...but a few still trickle in now and again).  He asked me what was new and I blurted.  He says, "Oh, you'd be great with kids," as if it was written on my shirt.  I donno.  I've seen him a few times outside of work and we have shot the breeze in a legit way but to tell I'd be good with kids without having seen me with kids...that's fun.  "Fun" isn't the best adjective but I don't have another.


Wow.. I will miss Hughie/Kevin a lot..but I haven't seen him yet so I'll wait to post another time.  :(


-[There is a SWEET lil old man who definitely grew up on the east side of London... possibly on the set of "Eastenders" (1985-present) cos that's all he is to me... and he comes in to buy Crossword tickets.  He.... is just delightful.  I think I've only seen him in recent months and not often and not predictably.  But I love his joviality and his accent (my heart pines hard for the UK some times and Britishness is a significant part of my identity) and the sweet, old man comments he makes.  I can't.. put him into words.  Just a delight.]


-[Matt works for Nissan and he is a strange character.  Known him for a while.  Nissan salesmen fill up a car after a sale and of the half-dozen Nissanites I know, I see him the most.  He was likely born for sales.  He knows what he's doing.

He isn't overly talkative which I assume comes either from having a lot on his mind, not wanting to stay in the shop much, not liking me, or needing to save his energy for chatting up strangers for hours each work day.  Every now and then he surprises me and on this day he asked how long I was in for.  Car salesmen work every Saturday that isn't their wedding or their own funeral so I don't know why he would feel badly for me to be there but hey, I'll take it.  I tell him til 12 and that because I was headed to a baby shower.  He replies with an, "Oh, nice," where he was trying to read whether I was looking forward or not.  I said it would be weird because it was for my brother's kid and he seemed to understand.  He left with, "Well, good luck with that," which I thought was just perfect.]


-I don't know this man's name but should because he told me months ago.  I couldn't picture the spelling so it didn't stick.  I saw him on my way out and went over to say hello.  There are people that always ask where I've been if they haven't seen me in a week or so and sometimes tell me they thought I had quit.  He's one of those so I figured I'd give him the heads-up.

He is so funny.  Funny like... a quality-funny uncle, not a lame-funny uncle.  Sniper humor...classic deadpan... and kind.  He was happy for me to be going on to something better.  Didn't quite get the job..told me I should give him my contact info in case he needed, "....healthcare or something," and he laughs oddly at himself knowing I am not a healthcareiculturist.  ha.  He owns an auto dealership so if he legit has work for me to do that would fit around my schedule, baller.


-[I don't even know how to describe this man.  He is.... I think he sleeps in a redwood he hollowed with out the antlers of a moose he felled. He.... yeah.  Farm.  Very fun.  Mint Skoal (smokeless chewing tobacco).  He let me accuse him of buying tampons once (because the box of tea he'd picked up legit looked like Tampax). He has that small-town politeness that boggles my mind. I didn't tell him I was leaving because our conversation was 95% focused on his beard.

We nodded when he came in cos I had a customer and he was headed for the ATM. After my customer left I turned and asked, "Mint?" because I hadn't seen him in a while.  "Yep," he replies and later adds, "Please and thank you," while I'm at the Skoal cabinet.

When he gets to the counter I open with, "So..... do children get lost in your beard?" because it's bushier and burlier than I've ever seen.  He doesn't answer immediately so I continue, "...Or caribou?" and he said no quite matter-of-factly but let me know that food sometimes gets stuck in.

The rest of our conversation involved him telling me what's gotten in there and how it's a great way to store snacks for later.  I became increasingly grossed out and he persisted.  He must have sisters.]

--

It's bed time.  Tomorrow is shift fifth-to-last.

No comments: