Saturday, 28 January 2012

triet XL

1 - Just now a customer said, "Wow! I'd hire ya," when I answered his opening friendly question, "Workin' hard today?"

Well aware that Saturdays are much slower than weekdays and this slushy Saturday was worse than most, I decided to mention the most difficult task I'd completed this morning. "Well, I just went up on the roof to clear snow off the satellite dish cos the debit [system] was down..." My tone went up at the end, implying a "does that count?" inquiry.
"I'd hire you," he said, and I was flattered.

2 - Last week a regular (who has no indoor voice) greeted me with, "Hello, nice laydee." I laughed a lot and then asked if it was a Jerry Lewis send-up. He looked at me like he had no idea who Jerry Lewis was. I was agog because this guy's in he early fiftes! Ahh, well.

3 - One of the first things my boss says to me this morning when he comes in is how "nice" I am. (Again.) He asks me why (again) and I tell him (again) that I've already told him why.

The conversation continues and I am delighted to be cornered into saying (again) that yes, Jesus is God.

He'd said he was impressed that I "volunteer" so much. I asked what he thinks I volunteer with... cos I don't. (I probably will never "volunteer" in my life. It annoys me.) He explains that I do it all the time and he means that I help people or do things for them. I guess he is right. Funny terminology but he's right.

I told him, sounding like an idiotic Sunday school teacher, "Jesus says to serve others as if we're serving Him so in that case it's easy for me because of how much I love God." [Here I cringe inwardly. It's the over-boiled, plain rice of sentiments.] "It's just an overflow."

I'm telling the truth. It felt good because it seemed to be an answer he grasped (finally!). Agree or not, find me crazy or not, a simple transference seemed to click. Wonderful.

3(b) - On that note, I really regret hesitating to go outside and ask if I could pay a guy's cab fare when he clearly couldn't pay. The ATM hadn't given him the response he wanted and I watched as he leaned in the open door hoping for something to change. I hesitated because I have no attachment to him and because I would probably never see him again. I was wrong and that is selfish. I kinda feel haunted by regret. I do and don't hope the feeling goes away.


Should end this post on a positive note. I'm listening to Biggie Smalls.

No comments: